Saturday, January 11, 2003
LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN MOVIE UPDATE
The image above shows Shane West (who plays Tom Sawyer), Sean Connery (Alan Quartermain) and Peta Wilson (Mina Harker). The image to the left is of West and Connery. (Click on the images for larger and fuller views).
The cast also includes Stuart Townsend as Dorian Gray, Jason Flemyng as Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, Naseeruddin Shah as Captain Nemo, Richard Roxburgh as M and Rodney Skinner as the Invisible Man.
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is directed by Steven Norrington, who also directed Blade.
A trailer for the film - targeted for a July 11 release -- is expected shortly. Look for more League news and images soon here in The Continuum.
LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN COMIC UPDATE
DC Comics has announced it will be publishing The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 2: Bumper Compendium Edition Parts 3 and 4.
The 48-page book, collecting Vol. 2 #3-4 of the series, will arrive in stores on Feb. 12 and will cost $5.95. DC is reporting that #4 is nearly sold out at America's Best Comics and will become the fourth consecutive issue of the title to sell out.
The story -- by Alan Moore and Kevin O' Neill -- finds the heroes facing an otherworldly and seemingly unstoppable threat from the planet Mars.
"We're very happy with the public's continued enthusiasm for The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen," said Bob Wayne, DC's VP - Sales & Marketing. "This new Compendium Edition will let new readers catch up with the ongoing story before issue #5 reaches stores."
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 2 #5, the penultimate issue in the current story, is scheduled to arrive in stores on Feb. 26.
A two-volume, oversized, slipcased publication The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Absolute Edition Volume 1 will be released on June 4.
DARK HORSE'S HORROR COMICS
Dark Horse Comics has released a line-up of horror-oriented titles through the fall.
Following is a rundown:
* Hellboy: Weird Tales #1, February: Weird Tales is an anthology series featuring an array of talent all with their own unique take on Mike Mignola's creation. Weird Tales #1 features a cover and stories by John Cassaday as well as art and stories by Andi Watson, Fabian Nicieza, and more.
* The Art of Hellboy, March: Featuring previously unpublished art, unused and unfinished covers, and drawing upon 10 years of sketchbooks, The Art of Hellboy provides the ultimate inside look at Mike Mignola's design, storytelling, and color theory.
* The Devil's Footprints, March: This mini-series -- written by Scott Allie, with art by Bran Horton and Paul Lee -- is the story of Brandon Waite, a young man who must delve into his father's dark past to end the curse on his family.
* Blackburne Covenant, April: Fabian Nicieza teams up with Italian horror artist Stefano Raffaele to tell a tale about a popular fantasy novelist, who unbeknownst to him, wrote a book that revealed secrets that the Blackburne Covenant would kill to keep quiet.
* Calling All Monsters: A Cal McDonald Mystery #1, May: 30 Days of Night creators Steve Niles and Ben Templesmith team on a mini-series featuring monster hunter Cal McDonald on the trail of something big when he notices different races of monsters coming together for an unholy purpose.
* B.P.R.D. one shots, May: A series of one-shots features the cast of unforgettable characters that work with Hellboy in the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense. Michael Avon Oeming and Miles Gunter provide the and art on issue #1.
* The Goon, June: Eric Powell's The Goon makes its Dark Horse debut. Battling the undead and an assorted array of unearthly creatures is all in a day's work for The Goon. Look for original material as well as reprint collections of Eric self published early Goon tales.
* Scarlet Traces, August: Set post the events of the classic War of the Worlds book, Ian Eginton and D'israeli bring a chilling take on a society using newly found alien technology that comes with a price no one expected.
* Hauntings, September: A hardcover anthology featuring tales by Mike Mignola, P. Craig Russell, Evan Dorkin and more.
* Corpus Monstrum, October: A collection of Gary Gianni's Monster Men stories.
E-mail the Continuum at RobAlls@aol.com
Copyright © 2002, The Comics Continuum