Wednesday, February 5, 2003
COLIN FARRELL TALKS DAREDEVIL
Continuing weeklong reports from the Daredevil press junket, The Continuum presents an edited transcript from a roundtable interview with Colin Farrell in Pasadena, Calif.
Farrell talked about playing Bullseye, his hard-partying and reputation and if he is dating Britney Spears.
For the transcript, CLICK HERE.
* Luxottica, makers of Ray-Ban, issued a released on Tuesday about the use of specially designed Ray-Ban sunglasses in Daredevil. Ray-Ban worked closely with the film's prop master, Scott Maginnis, to create the ideal sunglasses for Matt Murdock.
Ben Affleck wears Ray-Ban Predator 3119. The sunglasses combine the "traditional sleek design of the Predator line with a superhero twist." Ray-Ban added distinctive red lenses to the existing modern pewter frames. A limited number of these special red lenses will be available to consumers.
* For an interview with Affleck, CLICK HERE.
* For an interview with Jennifer Garner, CLICK HERE.
* Coming Thursday: An interview with Michael Clarke Duncan.
HULK MOVIE ROUNDUP
Universal Pictures on Wednesday announced a line-up of promotional partners for The Hulk movie.
The film's domestic promotional campaign will break onto retail shelves in May with partners including Pepsi, Hershey Food Corporation, Kraft Foods, ConAgra's Grocery and Snack Foods Group brands and The Glad Products Company.
"For the summer event movie of 2003, we have an appropriately Hulk-sized promotional campaign with an incredible roster of promotional partners," said Beth Goss, executive vice president, The Brand Group. "And all of our Hulk partners have stepped up to the plate with the kind of unique creative campaigns that are sure to generate excitement at retail this summer."
Here's a rundown:
* Pepsi will offer an instant win promotion on 150 million packages of Mountain Dew, Code Red and Sierra Mist. Consumers can win grand Hulk-Sized prizes including a "Hulked-Out Home Entertainment Center" that features a 56-inch wide screen TV, sound system, DVD player, Hulk X-box and The Hulk video game. Secondary prizes include a Hulk X-Box and The Hulk video game or a year's supply of Mountain Dew. The program will be supported with in store point-of-sale displays.
* Hershey Foods is offering a comprehensive program to deliver added value across multiple brands and packtypes through bonus offerings, heavy merchandising, display vehicles and web activities from April through June.
Hulk-sized and Hulk-themed packaged candy and displays will be offered for brands including Reese's, Hershey's Kisses, Miniatures, York, Nuggets, Nuggets with Almonds and Rolo. The program is further extended to include Hershey's most popular six-packs, King and bonus Giant bars. Hershey will also offer green colored, green apple flavored Hulk Twizzlers, Giant Green Bubble Yum bubble gum balls, green Hershey's chocolate syrup and Jolly Rancher Hulk-shaped Gummies.
Hershey will offer a Hulk-ed Up Sweepstakes where consumers have the chance to win a Hummer H-1 and thousands of other Hulk-ed Up prizes. Consumers can also collect King Size Hulk bar wrappers to get a free Hulk t-shirt.
* As the pre-eminent packaged goods sponsor, Kraft Foods will offer 16 unique Hulk products on over 30 million packages. Brands include Nilla Wafers, Ritz crackers, Ritz Bits sandwiches, Oreo cookies, Kraft Cheese Nips, Kraft Singles Cheese Slices, Taco Bell green shells, Kraft Miracle Whip, Jell-O ready-to-eat and dry puddings and Post Cereals. The program will be supported with point-of-service displays, green food items, a special Hulk cereal, sweepstake overlays, as well as premium lenticular cards in crackers and Taco Shells. Kraft Singles will offer a Hulk T-Shirt on specially marked packages.
* Con Agra Foods will feature "Cookout Heroes," a barbecue theme tying several brands together under one umbrella to promote The Hulk. Nearly 40 million packages of Con Agra Food's Banquet frozen dinners, entrees and prepared chicken will carry Hulk graphics and a sweepstakes opportunity with a grand prize trip to Universal Studios' Islands of Adventure theme park to ride The Hulk roller coaster. Participating brands include Banquet (Frozen Dinners, Entrees and Prepared Chicken), Manwich, Chef Boyardee, Gulden's Mustard, Butterball Fresh Chicken, Hunt's Ketchup and BBQ, VanCamp's Beans, Armour Hot Dogs, Pam non-stick cooking spray, Eckrich Smoked Sausage and Inland Valley frozen potatoes. In addition to the grand prize, daily prizes will be awarded on the on-line instant-win game ( www.cookoutheroes.com ) which includes movie tickets to see The Hulk and ConAgra Foods product coupons. The promotion will be supported with in-store point of sale displays and a national FSI.
In addition to the online promotion, ConAgra will also offer account specific programs in top retail accounts across the country. These programs will feature a variety of tactics and prizes, including trips for four to Islands of Adventure, Hulk Coleman outdoor cooking grills, Hulk bicycles, Hulk-sized green coolers, in-store shopping sprees, The Hulk movie tickets, Hulk hats, Hulk T-shirts and Marvel comics subscriptions.
* ConAgra Foods Snack Foods Group brands Slim Jim, Pemmican and David Seeds are offering three different Hulk-sized promotions. Slim Jim will have a Hulk-sized canister and meat stick -- the longest Slim Jim meat stick on the market. Slim Jim's sweepstakes will offer the chance to "Win a Hulk 'Wreck' Room" and an additional 250 winners will take home Hulk video games.
Pemmican invites health-conscious consumers to "Win a Personal Gym" (grand prize), with 100 additional consumers winning Hulk workout wear.
David Seeds will ask consumers to find the one green seed game piece in select packages to "Win a Revved Up Hulk Power Pack" complete with a Honda motorcycle, ATV and personal watercraft. In addition, 100 winners finding the red seed game piece will receive a remote control Hulk Monster Truck. The brand promotions are being supported with public relations and millions of impressions via point of sale displays and on-pack presence.
* The Glad Products Company will support The Hulk with a free movie ticket offer via Hollywood Movie Magic on specially marked packages of Glad Sandwich Bags, Glad Cling Wrap, Gladware containers and Glad trash bags. The promotion will be supported with in-store shipper displays and a link to The Hulk website from Glad's website (www.glad.com).
In other Hulk news:
Universal will debut a new theatrical trailer on Thursday via satellite. The trailer will not be shown in theaters until Friday, Feb. 14 on selected screens with Daredevil.
(All Times are EST)
6 a.m. - 6:15 a.m. AMC 2/ Transponder 7; DF 3840(v)
10 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. Telstar 6/ Transponder 22; DF 4140(h)
1 p.m. - 1:15 p.m. Telstar 5/ Transponder 19; DF 4080(v)
4 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. AMC 2/ Transponder 7; DF 3840(v)
Look for more Hulk news on Thursday here in The Continuum.
PAINKILLER JANE ON TV?
Although Gatecrasher is no longer at MTV and the rights are now back at Black Bull Entertainment, Jimmy Palmiotti said another one of his comics might wind up on television.
"We're talking about Painkiller Jane," Palmiotti told The Continuum last weekend at the Comics & Pop Culture Convention in Pasadena, Calif. "Something might be happening soon, maybe at SciFi Channel."
Palmiotti's partner, Amanda Conner, said that the character would well on television.
"Right there is a character with a lot personality," she said. "She started out happy and then life handed her a bunch of crap."
Gatecrasher, which was going to be produced at Mainframe Entertainment, was once in consideration at Fox Kids and then was in development at MTV, where enough progress was made for a 45-second promotional tape that was shown at conventions.
"We went through nearly a year with them," Palmiotti "It started out as a kid in a small town at a college, turning into a kid working at a record company in L.A. by the time we finally ended our relationship.
"They wanted it to be something else. And every time they had to make another change, you lose some more of the character. And all of sudden you realize that the reason they bought it is no longer there. And my attitude is, 'Why did you bother buying it? Just make your own thing.'"
With a Jessica Alba-attached movie deal on Beautiful Killer, Palmiotti said he continues to receive Hollywood feelers, including some on The Pro.
"I don't like to think of us as one-idea people, so I don't necessarily baby sit everything to the point of exhaustion," he said. "Because there is a point where you have to hand it off to the next guy and hope for the best.
"So it's a double-edged sword. You got to be realistic or else you'll never work in the entertainment business."
The WB has released seven more images from upcoming episodes of Smallville.
The image above shows Christopher Reeve in his guest-starring spot on the Tuesday, Feb. 25 episode "Rosetta." He plays a scientist who helps Clark.
The images below are from "Fever," which is scheduled to air on Tuesday, Feb. 18.
The WB has yet to release story information about either episode.
Click on the images above for larger and fuller images. Look for more Smallville news soon here in The Continuum.
NICOLE KIDMAN TO PLAY CATWOMAN?
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Nicole Kidman might be in line to star in Warner Bros. Pictures' Catwoman feature film.
The Reporter said that Kidman has been offered the role and is waiting to see the latest draft of the script before making any decisions.
Ashley Judd had been the most-mentioned actress for the role and frequently spoke in public about her desire to play the character.
Catwoman, directed by Pitoff, will not feature Selina Kyle, but instead is about "a cat-loving gymnast."
Kidman previously starred in 1995's Batman Forever. She played Dr. Chase Meridian.
Ultimate Spider-Man #37 will go on sale on March 5.
"The response to our two publications has been positive and overwhelming," said Horie Nobuhiko, Chairman Gutsoon! Entertainment and Coamix, "Listening to our readers, we believe combining the two magazines into one will enhance the entertainment value of Raijin Comics and is consistent with our continued goal of providing a high-quality, weekly, manga magazine."
E-mail the Continuum at RobAlls@aol.com
Copyright © 2003, The Comics Continuum