Saturday, August 9, 2003
WIZARD WORLD CHICAGO: VERTIGO PANEL
Phil Jimenez announced Friday at DC Comics' Vertigo panel at Wizard World Chicago that he has signed an exclusive three-year deal with the publisher.
"We couldn't be happier about it," said editor Will Dennis, who hosted the panel.
Jimenez will be writing and drawing Otherword, a 12-issue maxi-series targeted to begin next March. The series introduces 18-year-old Sarah McGowan, a college student and singer who's about to discover her true heritage as an Earth-born sorceress --and, perhaps, the salvation of the extra-dimensional continent known only as Otherworld.
"Wizard described it as Real World meets Lord of the Rings meets Tron, and I thought that was pretty good," Jimenez said.
"It's sort of that dream project that every creator has. It's a very personal work, me musing over a lot of world events, the notion of celebrity and war."
Jimenez described the book as a "huge art project"
"So even though there are all these themes and subtext, it basically has these dragons fighting space ships. It's pure art, and I'm experimenting with color and format."
In other news from the panel:
* Dennis reiterated several items from the Vertigo panel at Comic-Con International. Look for The Continuum's coverage of that event by CLICKING HERE.
* Neil Gaiman's The Sandman: Endless Nights is at the printer. "It was nice to see the whole package when the pieces finally came together," said assistant editor Mariah Heuhner.
* The upcoming "In Stinked" story arc of 100 Bullets will feature the return of Jack and Mikey, last seen in 100 Bullets #22.
* Cliff Chiang will draw the second arc of The Human Target. The plan is for Javier Pulido and Chiang to alternate arcs.
* Y: The Last Man writer Brian K. Vaughan said the two-issue arc drawn by Paul Chadwick will examine how art and entertainment have changed after all the men have died. "It gets better," he said.
Following that, Vaughan said the book gets "dirty" with a story arc called "As Dirty as We Want to Be." That will run in #18-20.
* A story arc in Lucifer #43 will spotlight Duplicity and Deceit, described as "wannabe members of the Endless."
E-mail the Continuum at RobAlls@aol.com
Copyright © 2003, The Comics Continuum