Wednesday, September 10, 2003
MARVEL COMIC BOOK LIBRARY
Topics Entertainment later this month will release the Marvel Comic Book Library, featuring 100 comic books from the earliest issues of the publisher's characters.
Featured on the CD-ROM are the first 10 issues each of Amazing Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, Daredevil, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Captain America, Avengers, Sub-Mariner, Iron Man and Silver Surfer.
Also included are character biographies and movie screen savers.
The CD-ROM is compatible for both the PC and Mac and will cost $29.99.
HULK DVD DETAILS
Universal Pictures has announced that The Hulk DVD - due in stores on Oct. 28 - will include a demo of Vivendi Universal Game's The Hulk game for the Xbox system.
The 2-disc special edition DVD release is priced at $26.98 suggested retail and the VHS sells for $22.98.
Exclusive to The Hulk DVD, the demo provides one playable level for Xbox which showcases the title's fully interactive environments, and the power of the Hulk.
Picking up a year after the events of the film, the game follows the plight of troubled scientist Bruce Banner and his enraged alter ego, Hulk, as they battle against the terrifying forces of the Leader -- a villain intent on using The Hulk's gamma energy to unleash a relentless army of gamma creatures on the world. Players can master two types of game play as either Bruce Banner or The Hulk as they battle lead characters from the film, familiar enemies from the Marvel Universe or new villains created specifically for the game.
The Hulk DVD bonus features include:
* The Making of "The Hulk" -- A featurette containing fascinating interviews with cast and crew and a behind-the-scenes look at the action stunt work in the film.
* Enhanced Viewing -- Viewers can access immediate information about select scenes to enliven their viewing experience as they view the film. A split- screen effect allows viewers to learn about 3-D technology allows 360 degree still images of each scene where The Hulk appears to be viewed at will.
* Anatomy of the Hulk -- ILM developed this exclusive feature in which a 3D Hulk model can be manipulated through the viewer's remote control. By clicking on various body parts, viewers can watch mini-featurettes of scenes containing footage and production stills that compare The Hulk's powers to an ordinary man.
* Hulkification -- A look at different artistic conceptions of The Hulk created by diverse illustrators representing the Marvel Comics, Manga and European styles of animation rendering the same scene from the film in comic book form while matched with footage from the film.
* Other features include storyboards showing side by side comparisons with actual scenes from the film; a Digital Incarnations feature revealing the visual process of director Ang Lee in bringing the larger-than-life character to the big screen, including Ang acting out stunts in a motion capture suit and reviewing storyboards with artists; the remarkable Dog Fight feature showing how the scene was created from storyboards to filming the CGI to the finished scene and deleted scenes, audio commentaries; and "The Making of The Hulk" interactive game.
For covers and four-page previews of upcoming titles from CrossGen Entertainment and Image Comics, CLICK HERE.
Titles include Masters of the Universe - Icons of Evil: Tri-Klops #1, The Agents #5 and Puffed #3.
ONI'S LAST EXIT BEFORE TOLL
Oni Press in November will be releasing the latest in its line of original graphic novels, Last Exit Before Toll.
Written by Neal Shaffer, author of One Plus One, the 96-page comic book revolves around Charles Pierce, a man with an average life, including an average family and an average job. Little does he know that his latest business trip is going to take that life and shove it to the side. Breaking down in a small town in the middle of nowhere, he finds himself stranded in a place where no one knows him, and more importantly, where no one knows he is at. Could this be the break he was looking for?
Joining Shaffer for Last Exit Before Toll are two newcomers: Christopher Mitten and Dawn Pietrusko. While Pietrusko might be known to One Plus One readers for her assistance with the gray tones in that book, this graphic novel will be Mitten's official comic book debut.
"I met Chris at Wizard World last year," Oni Press editor-in-chief Jamie S. Rich said. "It was an interesting encounter, since he was one of those artists whose manner matched his work. You could look at him and then look at his portfolio, and it was simply clear that he was the guy who drew it. It was a sense that this guy wasn't the same as everyone else-and I mean that as the highest compliment."
"I knew I was writing a script that would be challenging for an artist to tackle," Shaffer said. "This book is as much about atmosphere and feeling as it is about plot and conventional storytelling. It takes place in a lot of the same settings, and the character of the people and their environment needed to come across on their faces just as much as it does in what they say. I wanted to work with someone who could keep that interesting, who could make a simple conversation feel animated, while also capturing the look of the kind of town Charles was visiting. We needed someone that could do the real world, but yet make it unreal at the same time."
"There's a delicate quality to Christopher's pencils that I thought we should maintain," Rich said. "Digital tones seemed to be the best option. We could shoot straight from pencils and preserve the essence of his art. Dawn had done exceptional work assisting Daniel Krall on One Plus One, so bringing her in was an obvious choice."
Last Exit Before Toll goes on sale Nov. 19. It features 104 pages of black-and-white story and art, with a color cover designed by Steven Birch at Servo. It retails for $9.95.
COMICS CONTINUUM BACK ISSUES
In case you missed The Continuum's recent coverage, here are some links:
* For Thursday, Sept. 4, including X-Men: Evolution news, CLICK HERE.
* For Wednesday, Sept. 3, including Spider-Man animated news, CLICK HERE.
* For Tuesday, Sept.2, including Justice League and Batman news, CLICK HERE.
* For Monday, Sept.1, including Street Fighter and Teen Titans news, CLICK HERE.
* For Saturday, Aug. 30, including Mutant X news, CLICK HERE.
* For Friday, Aug. 29, including Justice League season-premiere news, CLICK HERE.
* For Thursday, Aug. 28, including Smallville season-premiere news, CLICK HERE.
* For Wednesday, Aug. 27, including Mutant X and Batman animated news, CLICK HERE.
* For Tuesday, Aug. 26, including Transformers news, CLICK HERE.
* For Monday, Aug. 25, CLICK HERE.
* For Saturday, Aug. 23, CLICK HERE.
* For Friday, Aug. 22, CLICK HERE.
* For Thursday, Aug. 21, CLICK HERE.
* For Wednesday, Aug. 20, CLICK HERE.
Here's how the book is described:
"This comic tour of the dark underbelly of American culture features a down-and-out private detective who is hired by heroin-addled G-men to find the lost secret Constitution to the United States."
"As a fan of The Godfather and other crime movies, I think Judd is truly capturing the flavor of the crime genre with this series," said Dan DiDio, DC's VP - Editorial. "It's something I'm really looking forward to reading."
Caper's first story arc focuses on brothers Izzy and Jacob Weiss, button men for San Francisco's turn-of-the-century Jewish Mafia. They've done dirty work for years, but now their Boss has pushed them too far.
E-mail the Continuum at RobAlls@aol.com
Copyright © 2003, The Comics Continuum