Monday, March 29, 2004
THE PUNISHER MOVIE UPDATE
Lion's Gate has released a complete plot synopsis for The Punisher, which reaches theaters on April 16.
To read the synopsis, which contains spoilers, CLICK HERE.
In other Punisher news:
* Eduardo Yanez and Omar Avila play Mike and Joe Toro in the film. The Toro brothers are conspirators with Howard Saint in his money laundering operations.
* The Punisher car finished 20th in the Foot City 500 NASCAR NEXTEL race at Bristol Motor Speedway in Bristol, Tenn., on Sunday. The No. 77 car was driven by rookie Brendan Gaughan.
"We had a fantastic race car, the best one we've had all year," Gaughan said. "We had the meanest-looking race car out there. We had the Punisher."
* For cover age of The Punisher panel at Wizard World Los Angeles, CLICK HERE.
* Below are images from the new television spots.
* Look for more coverage on The Punisher on Tuesday here in The Continuum.
For covers and four-page previews of upcoming titles, CLICK HERE.
Titles include Negation War Part One from CrossGen Entertainment, The Wraith #1 from Triity Comics and Batman #626 and Green Lantern #176 from DC Comics.
HELLBOY MOVIE UPDATE
The Hellboy movie will have its world premiere on Tuesday night at Mann Village in Westwood.
Arrivals are expected at 6:30 p.m., with the screening at 7:30 p.m.
Appearing from the film will be Selma Blair, Peter Briggs, Guillermo Del Toro, Rupert Evans, Lawrence Gordon, John Hurt, Doug Jones, Lloyd Levin, Mike Mignola, Patrick Palmer, Ron Perlman, Brian Steele and Jeffrey Tambor.
In other Hellboy news:
* Perlman is scheduled to appear on CBS' The Late Show with Craig Kilborn on Friday, the day the film opens nationally.
* Tambor is scheduled to appear on the syndicated Live! with Regis and Kelly on Thursday.
* The film earned a thumb's up and a thumb's down on Ebert & Roeper over the weekend. Roger Ebert approved Perlman's performance, while Richard Roeper said the film ran out of steam after a promising first half.
* For The Continuum's coverage of the recent Hellboy panel at Wizard World Los Angeles, featuring cast members Ron Perlman and Selma Blair, CLICK HERE.
* Look for more Hellboy coverage on Tuesday here in The Continuum.
Jerry Seinfeld and Superman have once again joined forces with American Express to create a webisode that chronicles the daily exploits and unique friendship between comedian and Kryptonian.
The four-minute webisode, entitled "A Uniform Used to Mean Something," co-written by Seinfeld and directed by Barry Levinson (Diner, Rain Man), is a humorous glimpse into a day-in-the-life of pop culture's latest "odd couple." The webisode launched Monday at www.americanexpress.com/jerry.
Shot on location in New York City, the webisode follows Superman and Seinfeld through their day. The twosome discuss their views on reality television, visit a local diner under a reservation for Man of Steel, catch a cheeky Broadway show, and of course, Superman takes down a bad guy. "A Uniform Used to Mean Something" is the first webisode in a two-part series. The launch of the sequel, "Hindsight," will be announced soon.
Seinfeld, an admitted Superman buff, said he was thrilled to reunite with his pal and with American Express on the project. "When you read the Superman comic book as a kid you don't think 'maybe someday he and I'll hang out', but here I am actually doing it," said Seinfeld during filming. "Our exploits make for great material, and I think the Internet provides the perfect platform to share our comical adventures with fans around the planet."
Seinfeld and Superman last appeared together in a 1998 television commercial for American Express Cards.
Levinson accepted the challenge of directing the webisodes, a new format for the director. "It's great to try something you haven't done, in a format with which you have not worked -- especially with someone as talented as Jerry," said Levinson. "As for Superman, I truly enjoyed working with him. He's a professional. What can I say, he's the Man of Steel!"
Visitors to americanexpress.com/jerry will discover a unique interactive experience. The site draws viewers into a cozy living room of a New York City apartment, complete with a view of the Empire State Building, candid snapshots of Seinfeld and his super-hero pal, a clickable Broadway show program, and more. In addition to the webisode, visitors will see behind-the-scenes footage from the making of the webisode, a teaser of the upcoming sequel "Hindsight," and content related to American Express Cardmembership.
"It's delightful to have Jerry and Superman reunited, and to watch their friendship and mutual admiration," said Paul Levitz, President, DC Comics. "With their talents collaborating under Barry Levinson's guidance it should be fun for all."
American Express is supporting the campaign launch through a 360-degree or "surround" advertising, marketing and public relations campaign designed to reach customers through a variety of touch points. Television advertising includes three 15-second teasers featuring clips of Seinfeld and Superman from the webisode that will appear on national and cable programming, in addition to local network affiliates. "Daily Planet" -- themed polybags promoting the webisode will wrap numerous New York metro area newspapers, and will be distributed via home delivery in the market.
Other "surround" marketing efforts include "Lid Rocks" and postcard distribution. Lid Rocks are a new type of specialized lid for fountain drinks served at movie theaters. The lids will house mini disks featuring content about the campaign, exclusive behind-the-scenes footage and clips from the webisode -- accessible by computer. Postcards featuring three creative executions from the webisode will be distributed to hundreds of dining and entertainment merchants as well as health clubs in the greater New York area.
MUTANT X UPDATE
Tribune Entertainment has released a description of "She's Come Undone," the new episode of Mutant X scheduled to air in syndication the week of April 12.
Here's how Tribune describes the episode:
"Discover that their teammate Lexa is the subject of a covert experiment that is controlling her, the Mutant X teams hunts for the doctor responsible."
Peter Cockett guest-stars as Dr. John Gonsalves. John Shea returns as Adam Kane and his character will appear in person in Sanctuary.
"She's Come Undone," the 17th episode of the third season, is written by Michelle Lovrett and is dircted by Tim Bond.
This week's episode of Mutant X is a repeat of "The Taking Of Crows."
Look for more Mutant X news soon here in The Continuum.
In addition, Diamond has elected to raise the discount it offers its retailer customers on Tokyopop's titles. Effective with items in the March Previews, all Tokyopop items will be sold to Diamond customers at an "E" discount, up to 50 percent off. The same discount applies to all in-stock merchandise, beginning with orders placed after March 31.
COMICS CONTINUUM BACK ISSUES
In case you missed The Continuum's recent coverage, here are some links:
* For Tuesday, March 23, including an interview with John Singleton, director of the Cage movie, CLICK HERE.
* For Monday, March 22, including coverage of Spider-Man 2 and Punisher panels at Wizard World Los Angeles, CLICK HERE.
* For Sunday, March 21, including Wizard World Los Angeles coverage, CLICK HERE.
* For Saturday, March 20, including Marvel Comics' solicitations for June, CLICK HERE.
* For Friday, March 19, including Image Comics' solicitations for June, CLICK HERE.
* For Thursday, March 18, including Marvel Comics first looks, CLICK HERE.
* For Wednesday, March 17, including DC Comics first looks, CLICK HERE.
* For Tuesday, March 16, including DC solicitations for June, CLICK HERE.
* For Monday, March 15, including DC news, CLICK HERE.
* For Saturday, March 13, including Batman news, CLICK HERE.
* For Thursday, March 11, including Marvel Comics news, CLICK HERE.
* For Wednesday, March 10, including DC Comics news, CLICK HERE.
* For Tuesday, March 9, including Image Comics' The Ride, CLICK HERE.
* For Monday, March 8, including Dark Horse solicitations for June and an interview with wrtier Tony Bedard, CLICK HERE.
* For Sunday, March 7, including CrossGen news from MegaCon, CLICK HERE.
* For Saturday, March 6, including Hellboy and Catwoman movie news, CLICK HERE.
* For Friday, March 5, including Static Shock news, CLICK HERE.
* For Thursday, March 4, including Marvel first looks, CLICK HERE.
* For Wednesday, March 3, including Marvel and DC first looks, CLICK HERE.
* For Tuesday, March 2, including Marvel movie news, CLICK HERE.
* For Monday, March 1, including Teen Titans news, CLICK HERE.
* For Saturday, Feb. 28, including first looks, CLICK HERE.
* For Friday, Feb. 27, including Dreamwave Productions' solicitations for May, CLICK HERE.
* For Thursday, Feb. 26, including Justice League animated news, CLICK HERE.
* For Wednesday, Feb. 25, including Marvel's solicitations for May, CLICK HERE.
* For Tuesday, Feb. 24, including Angel news, CLICK HERE.
E-mail the Continuum at RobAlls@aol.com
Copyright © 2004, The Comics Continuum