Wednesday, June 23, 2004
IMAGE COMICS FOR SEPTEMBER
Image Comics has released its solicitation information for September.
For a complete rundown, with cover images, CLICK HERE.
For Top Cow titles, with cover images, CLICK HERE.
DC COMICS FIRST LOOKS
For a covers and four-page previews of DC Comics titles arriving in stores on Wednesday, June 30, CLICK HERE.
Titles include Batgirl #53, Batman #629, Green Lantern #178, JLA #100, Richard Dragon #2, Sleeper Season Two #1 and Superman Secret Files 2004.
Look for Marvel first looks on Friday here in The Continuum.
DC COMICS' MANGA IMPRINT
Paul Levitz, President & Publisher of DC Comics announced on Wednesday that DC Comics will launch CMX, a new imprint of manga graphic novels, with the publication of three titles in October.
The first three to be released are the initial volumes of Madara (art by Tajima Sho-u and written by Otsuka Eiji from Kadokawa), Mekakushi No Kuni (illustrated and written by Tsukuba Sakura from Hakusensha), and Eroika Yori Ai Wo Komete (illustrated and written by Aoike Yasuko, from Akita Shoten.)
"There's tremendous enthusiasm for manga in the States," Levitz said. "New readers, particularly girls and women, have rushed to embrace new talent from abroad, which we're excited to bring to American audiences as part of DC Comics' commitment to publishing diverse and exciting works from around the world."
Each of the CMX titles are Japanese manga which are being released for the first time in the United States, and will be published in the traditional manga format -- sized at 5 X 7 3/8", with black and white interiors. Subsequent volumes of each series will be released on a quarterly schedule.
Upcoming titles include Fujii Mihona's Gals (Gals has been adapted as the popular anime series SuperGals!) from Shueisha, Tenjo Tenge (by Oh! Great, from Shueisha), 9 Banme no Musashi (by Takahashi Miyuki, from Akita Shoten), Swan (by Ariyoshi Kyoko from Akita Shoten), Monster Collection (by Sei Ito from Kadokawa Shoten), Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne by Tanemura Arina (from Shueisha) and Akuma de Soro (by Takanashi Mitsuba from Shueisha).
"We believe that manga readership is going to continue its rapid growth and also evolve in the U.S.," said John Nee, Vice President -- Business Development at DC Comics. "CMX is committed to publishing all genre of manga, including horror, fantasy, science fiction and adventure titles, and the line will be as diverse, and as author-friendly, as that of DC Comics, Vertigo and WildStorm."
Nee also announced that DC Comics has hired Jake Tarbox as the Group Editor of the CMX imprint. Tarbox has spent the last 14 years living in Tokyo, Japan where he worked at Coamix, Inc. as the International Affairs Manager and Vice-Editor-Chief of Raijin Comics, administered the creation of the American subsidiary company Gutsoon! Entertainment, and edited the manga magazine, Raijin Comics. Tarbox will handle the editorial responsibilities for the CMX imprint, including overseeing the translation and printing of manga titles into English.
SPIDER-MAN 2 UPDATE
NBC has released an image of Spider-Man 2 star Tobey Maguire appearing on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Tuesday.
Maguire taped the appearance before the Spider-Man 2 world premiere on Tuesday.
Leno gave Maguire a couple of presents, including a bag of Los Angeles Lakers car flags -- Maguire is a big Lakers fan -- and a painting of Spider-Man riding Seabiscuit.
At the premiere, Maguire, his castmates and the filmakers were crushed by the media. "I just can't wait for people to see it," Maguire said.
In other Spider-Man 2 news:
* VH1 Goes Inside Spider-Man will air on Thursday at 11 p.m. (ET). The show will be repeated Saturday at noon and Sunday at 11:30 a.m.
* Maguire, Kirsten Dunst and Alfred Molina will appear on MTV'S TRL on Tuesday.
* Look for more on Spider-Man on Thursday here in The Continuum.
COMICS CONTINUUM BACK ISSUES
In case you missed The Continuum's recent coverage, here are some links:
* For Wednesday, June 16, including Marvel's solicitations for September, CLICK HERE.
* For Tuesday, June 15, including an inteview with Spider-Man 2's Alfred Molina, CLICK HERE.
* For Monday, June 14, including DC Comics' solicitations for September, CLICK HERE.
* For Saturday, June 12, including Spider-Man movie news, CLICK HERE.
* For Friday, June 11, including Spider-Man movie news, CLICK HERE.
* For Thursday, June 10, including Marvel news, CLICK HERE.
* For Wednesday, June 9, including DC first looks, CLICK HERE.
* For Tuesday, June 8, CLICK HERE.
* For Monday, June 7, CLICK HERE.
* For Saturday, June 5, CLICK HERE.
* For Friday, June 4, including Marvel news, CLICK HERE.
* For Thursday, June 3, including Marvel news, CLICK HERE.
* For Wednesday, June 2, including Justice League animated news, CLICK HERE.
* For Tuesday, June 1, including a preview and interview with Mary Jane writer Sean McKeever, CLICK HERE.
* For Monday, May 31, including solicitations and video-game news, CLICK HERE.
* For Saturday, May 29, including DC news, CLICK HERE.
* For Friday, May 28, including Justice League animated news, CLICK HERE.
* For Thursday, May 27, including Marvel Comics first looks, CLICK HERE.
* For Wednesday, May 26, including an interview with Catwoman producer Denise DiNovi, CLICK HERE.
* For Tuesday, May 25, including Greg Horn news, CLICK HERE.
* For Monday, May 24, including the Spider-Man panel from Wizard World Philadelphia, CLICK HERE.
* For Sunday, May 23, including Marvel's Avengers and Cup 'o Joe panels at Wizard World Philadelphia, CLICK HERE.
* For Saturday, May 22, including Marvel's solicitations for August, CLICK HERE.
* For Friday, May 21, including the X-Men panel at Wizard World Philadelphia, with more than 80 images of upcoming X-books, CLICK HERE.
* For Thursday, May 20, including Marvel and Dark Horse first looks, CLICK HERE.
* For Wednesday, May 19, including Marvel and DC first looks, CLICK HERE.
* For Tuesday, May 18, including Smallville and Global Frequency news, CLICK HERE.
* For Monday, May 17, including DC Comics' solicitations for August, CLICK HERE.
E-mail the Continuum at RobAlls@aol.com
Copyright © 2004, The Comics Continuum